Thursday, April 7, 2011

Never Idle Fingers

I've been thinking about things that I haven't finished so far this year, and that's a rather depressing thought -- so I decided to finish some things.

A couple months ago, I discovered an old triangle scarf I had knitted to cover my hair during the frequent rain storms in Houston. It's a lovely eggplant color and a cozy sport weight yarn, so it's VERY warm. It wasn't getting much use since we moved to Colorado, until I discovered it looked really cute as a neck scarf. I immediately decided to cast on for my long-planned second version, knit with lace weight Rowan Kidsilk Haze (the yarn equivalent to crack).

It's not a very fast-moving pattern (here's my Rav link), but I wanted the lighter weight scarf for springtime, and for the drizzles that are starting to happen in NoCo (Northern Colorado). I'm really pleased with how it came out.

This is how it wears to cover my hair in the drizzles, and then it has the bonus double usage of a neck scarf.
It's hard to tell in the photos, but it has a really wonderful halo around it -- which unfortunately gets stuck in chapstick like nobody's business. But it's worth it! Knit with about a skein and a half of Rowan Kidsilk Haze (kid mohair and silk, which makes it kind of sheeny and gives it that halo).

I'm still working away on my contented cardi. It looks like a big pink blob, so you'll have to wait for a photo until it looks less ... well ... blobby. I'm also swatching for a vest that I'm test-knitting for. There won't be any photos of that one for a while, out of respect to the designer, but know that I'm knitting on SOMETHING, even if I don't talk about it here.

In other homemaker news, I'm simply waiting for the weather to be less cold and gloomy before I plant seeds for my potted herb garden. I'm researching getting a plot in a community garden, so more on that as it develops. If I can't get a spot in a community garden in town, I'll plant in troughs in our backyard (the owner of our house probably doesn't want me to pull back the liner around the perimeter of our backyard to plant tomatoes and peppers). I WILL have a garden, and I'm secretly REALLY excited for the day we own our own home and I can plant my garden however I want.

I recently finished reading Malcolm Gladwell's What the Dog Saw, which I highly recommend. It's a collection of his articles from the New Yorker, so varying subjects, but he's an excellent writer and I now know things about hair dye and birth control (among other things) that I never even knew I cared about. I read mine on my Kindle, but here's an Amazon link, just for fun.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty! I've made a terrible mess out of the Starfish sweater from Zoe Mellor's Adorable Knits for Tots that I'm knitting for MJ. I've had to adapt the pattern to accommodate the yarn I'm using and don't have the patience to calculate properly. Made the sleeves twice already and just ripped out the neck because it was too small for Michael's (rather large) noggin. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete