Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pretty pretty flowers ....

We have some serious weed problems in our yard. Not only is the lawn plagued by dandelions, but we have tons and tons of other spiky prickly grassy weeds that pop up in the rocks surrounding our lawn. The dandelions don't really bother us, because they get cut down with the mower and then we can pretend they aren't there ... but we've had to do a serious weed-ing a few times already this summer, and it looks like we'll have to do at least one or two more.

A couple weeks ago, Dear and I were frantically trying to weed the back yard gravel areas before a rain storm came down upon us, so we opted to leave the two side portions alone. The house and fence block them from public view, there are no windows that look out onto those areas, and we decided that "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" would serve us best in this instance.

Imagine my surprise a few days ago when I went out to water the garden and discovered that our weeds were actually ....
Pretty wild flowers! They're very sunflower-esque, but I think they are just a sunflower-wannabe. These flowers are now cropping up all over our neighborhood (even out of the storm drain by our mailbox! I was going to photograph it, but the heat killed them before I got out there with my camera), and I think they are pretty. So I'm glad that we didn't pull them out before they flowered, and I'm also glad that I now have an excuse to leave them be.

I love that the procrastination lessons I learned in high school and college are still serving me well today. PS, I went out to water the garden this morning, and some of these flowers were taller than the fence. Holy crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment